(Weekly halaqah notes :))
Surat Yusuf, has three 3 dreams and 3 shirts;
1. Stars and Moon
2. in the prison
3. the king
1. Bloody shirt
2. Shirt given to Yaqoob alyahi asalam
3. Yusuf’s shirt ripped by the wife of al aziz
13. He [Ya'qûb] said: “Truly, it saddens me that you should take him away. I fear lest a wolf should devour him, while you are careless of him.”
14. They said: “If a wolf devours him, while we are ‘Usbah (a strong group) (to guard him), then surely, we are the losers.”
So, the brothers of Yusuf alayhi asalaam, ask to take him to ‘play’ with him. Yaqoob was saddened and scared that he would miss Yusuf (which made them more jealous). He then put the idea of a wolf eating Yusuf while they are out.
Parent’s really need to watch what they say. The brothers of Yusuf weren’t master minds or these intelligent people who had a whole plan to kill Yusuf. Yaqoob alyahi asalam, put these ideas in their heads, he gave them the blue prints to what they could do.
15. So, when they took him away, they all agreed to throw him down to the bottom of the well, and We inspired in him:”Indeed, you shall (one day) inform them of this their affair, when they know (you) not.”
In arabic, well has two names; jub and bi’r.
In this surah, Yusuf is put in a jub, a well that is filled with water. Yusuf wasn’t put in a bi’r because out of the hikmah of Allah, no one passing by in the desert would come to the bi’r, and hence Yusuf would never be found.
The inspiration of Yusuf is amazing subhanAllah
He was inspired through his heart;
a) Allah said: ” you will tell them..” ie. Yusuf will indeed meet back up with his brothers
b) Allah says: “you will remind them..” ie. a person reminding another person about an incident usually means he is in the higher status. Yusuf will be in a higher status in order to remind them.
c) Allah says: “you will be able to recognize them, but they won’t be able to recognize you..” Yusuf was put in the well at a very young age, 7 or 8, obviously by the time he reunits he is in his 30’s or 40’s, he changed in the way he looks. But his brothers were older, and their physical appearence did not change much.
Yusuf being inspired is what scholars debate as the beginning of his prophecy. He was inspired through heart, wallahi a’lam how that is, but Allah did not speak to him directly telling him these matters.
So recap about why would his 10 brothers do this? Jealousy.
Jealousy: feeling resentment against someone because of that person’s rivalry, success, or advantages
This evil jealously the 10 brothers had blinded them from thinking of what they were doing, blinded them when they were putting Yusuf in the well. They did a major sin, cut the tie of kinship.
There are matters where we are allowed to be jealous, i like to call it the halal jealousy:
1) Someone has lots of $$ and continuously spends it fee sabeel Allah
2) Lots of knowledge, and teaches it
You can be jealous in the manner, you want to be like this person in respect to what Allah has blessed them with. It is really important that we try not to attach ourselves to means, means are what cause jealously, and jealously aint good.
And that is it for now inshaAllah i’ll put the rest of my notes up later =) If i said anything wrong please correct me, wallahu ta’la ‘alam.